Ever wanted to know what it takes to be a Board member? Bonnie Duncan, United Way of Hunterdon County’s CEO, will be offering Board Development training this Winter. The goal of the training is to prepare you to be an effective Board Member for any organization. For instance, the training provides an understanding of a Board’s roles & responsibilities, how to advocate for your Board’s cause, and ideas for fundraising.
Mike Harper, one of United Way of Hunterdon County’s new board members shared the benefits for himself when attending the training session:
- As I learned throughout the training, many of these foundations and lessons are applicable to our roles at work, particularly as you gain more leadership roles.
- Bonnie provides slides / reading material (which are great for future reference) and spends much of the training session checking / reinforcing the topic by having you do individual or small-group work.
- A benefit not listed in the link above: Networking. I was fortunate to meet ~5 people outside of ExxonMobil and the United Way of Hunterdon County while taking the course. You get to meet new people and learn about their organizations and the important work they are doing in their communities.
This interactive series of mentoring workshops will be held virtually from 6:00pm – 9:00pm via Zoom.
A link summarizing the training is here: https://www.uwhunterdon.org/board-development. If you have any questions or to RSVP, please contact Bonnie at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (908) 782-3414.
The schedule for the next Board Development Training:
- TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2021 ROLES & RESPONSIBILITITES
- WEDNESSAY, MARCH 3, 2021 GOVERNANCE
- THURSDAY, MARCH 18, 2021 FINANCE
- MONDAY, APRIL 5, 2021 FUND-RAISING & PR