What is the Tools 4 School Back to School program?
Every summer we collect school supplies for children on the free and reduced lunch program in school districts within Hunterdon County. In 2021, we helped 800+ students from pre-K through 12th grade with filled backpacks to help them start the school year with the tools they need to succeed. Our backpack drive is of our most visible and favorite volunteer programs, and we have a role for most anyone who wants to join us! Important Tools 4 School dates can be found here.
What volunteer opportunities are available?
- Front desk greeters and help with administrative tasks
- Reviewing and following up with applications
- Inventory donations
- Data entry
- Appointment scheduling
- Translating applications from Spanish to English
- Backpack distribution day duties (greeters, registration table, backpack fillers, and more)
Who can volunteer for this program?
- Volunteers with availability in July and August
- Volunteers who prefer weekday, daytime hours
- Students (middle school and older, with a parent)
What traits are you looking for in a volunteer?
This program has many facets to suit many skillsets and preferences, and all volunteers are welcome.
We are always looking for Spanish-speaking volunteers, especially to help with translation at the data entry, client intake, and client communication stages.
When you are working with clients, we are that you are patient, kind, and that you serve all clients with dignity and respect that is free of bias or discrimination.
We believe every United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee has an obligation to embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion and be actively anti-racist in their thoughts, work, and actions. We ask that all volunteers read and respect our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement of Principle.
2022 Tools 4 School Program